|Unit type||Mass Production Eighth Generation Knightmare Frame|
|Manufacturer||Chawla Design Bureau|
|Operator||Order of the Black Knights|
|Dimensions||Overall Height: 4.49 meters|
|Weight||Combat Weight: 7.82 metric tons|
|Powerplant||Yggdrasil Drive (Mark IV)|
|Equipment and Design Features|
The Type-05A Akatsuki (Japanese for "Dawn") is a knightmare frame utilized by the Order of the Black Knights in Code Geass Megiddo as their mainline unit.
Pretty much the original design, except now painted in jet black colors akin to the Zangetsu and being equipped with the standard Katen Yaibatou rather than the baton version.
Though it is an entirely new knightmare, the Akatsuki draws heavily from the successful but limited production Type-03F Gekka, which was used during the Black Rebellion by Black Knight aces, as well as the experimental prototype Type-04T Zangetsu. As it was meant for average skilled pilots to utilize, the Akatsuki's parameters are scaled back in order to allow newcomers to adapt quickly and control with ease. Despite this, the Akatsuki remains an excellent machine, and on a performance level is more than a match for older generation knightmares as well as its eighth generation contemporaries. In terms of fixed weapons, it mounts the same chest mounted slash harken as its predecessors, as well as the familiar Katen Yaibatou sword. Meanwhile for gunnery weapons, the Akatsuki can also carry a twin barreled version of the Gekka's arm cannon and a bazooka for a fire support role.
- Type 41 "Hien Souga" Slash Harken
- The Slash Harken is the signature weapon of the Knightmare Frame, and is used by almost all KMF models. Slash Harkens are wire-guided projectiles with some form of anchor-like blunt object at its tip. They can be used in multiple ways varying from offensive to defensive, or as a means of transportation via anchoring them in an object, and retracting the cable. The "Hien Souga"-type Slash Harken, the standard type of most Black Knight units, is stored in a red-painted compartment on the left side of the Akatsuki's chest, and has a two-pronged claw at its tip.
- Type 89 "Katen Yaibatou" Chain Sword
- The Katen Yaibatou (Revolving Blade Sword) is the standard melee weapon of the Black Knights. The sword is constructed similarly to a chainsaw, wherein small blades (also known as teeth) circulate around the length of the blade; the main difference is that heat is used to further the effectiveness of the sword, making it even sharper. The Katen Yaibatou has a cutting power on par to that of a Britannian MVS, but is ineffective against more heavily armored units.
- Type 65 23mm Double-Barreled Hand Gun
- The Akatsuki's usual armament. Based on the design of the Gekka's hand gun, this model has a faster firing rate and greater range, while the addition of a second barrel gives it a larger area of fire. Compared to Britannian machine guns and assault rifles, the hand gun is somewhat less powerful, but otherwise superior in most other areas. Usually mounted on the left arm.
- Type 77 100mm Bazooka
- A heavy assault weapon. Designed to be used against more heavily armored targets, the bazooka fires high-explosive rockets over long-range. Its destructive power is enough that it can break most forms of shielding as well as pierce ship and fortress level defenses. Its only major weaknesses are its slower rate of fire and its reduced ammo load. Usually mounted on the right arm.
- Type E2D Mono-Eye Sensor Camera
- Following along with its Gekka predecessors, the Akatsuki was equipped with a fixed orange tinted mono-eye sensor camera system in the center of its head. Though lacking the panoramic scope of the dual-eye cameras used on the Type-02A Guren Nishiki and the IFX-V3D1 Gawain, the mono-eye featured superior focusing power, and was easier to implement. Naturally, this is the standard camera system of the Black Knights.
- Type S2D Multispectral Sensor System
- The Akatsuki carries a standard sensor package, which provides pilots a detailed readout on their surroundings, theoretically enough for them to survive the battlefield. The Akatsuki's system doesn't hold in a special features, instead being designed for functionality above all else.
- Type K2D Landspinner Propulsion System
- The Akatsuki carries landspinners as with most knightmares. Though they're not quite as powerful or mobile as those on more specialized knightmares, these units provide the Akatsuki far superior mobility to older model knightmares as well as some contemporary eighth generation types, giving the Akatsuki a large edge over most opponents. The knightmare's streamlined design only compliments its landspinners.
Following the Black Rebellion and the Devastation of Japan, the Black Knights would go through a reformation and restructuring period from the safety of Okinawa, the last refuge for the Japanese race. During this period, it was decided that the Black Knights' original mainline knightmare, the Type-10R Burai, was now outdated and greatly outperformed by the latest Britannian seventh generation knightmares. Worse yet, word would reach the Black Knights' higher command that the Britannians intended to mass produce their venerable Z-01 Lancelot as a new eighth generation knightmare frame, thus prompting the organization's chief engineer Rakshata Chawla to develop her own eighth generation design that would serve as the Black Knights' backbone unit.
After a sufficient amount of research and experimentation, Rakshata finally conceives the Black Knights' next generation knightmare frame: the Type-05A Akatsuki. With its name being Japanese for "dawn", the Akatsuki represented the coming of the next generation even in name, as with Britannia and the E.U. lagging behind in the production of the RPI-212 Vincent and the Mk8-M9X4 Loewe, the Black Knights would be the first to be entirely outfitted with eighth generation machines. Needless to say, this factor would give them a much needed edge against the numerically superior forces of Britannia, at least initially.
Developed in secrecy in the years following the Black Rebellion, the Black Knights are able to produce the Akatsuki in massive quantities while rebuilding their forces, so that by the time they come out of hiding in 2025, they are more than able to fight and hold their own against Britannian forces.