|Unit type||Mass Production Amphibious Eighth Generation Knightmare Frame|
|Manufacturer||Chawla Design Bureau|
|Operator||Order of the Black Knights|
|Dimensions||Overall Height: 4.56 meters|
|Weight||Combat Weight: 7.94 metric tons|
|Powerplant||Yggdrasil Drive (Mark IV)|
|Equipment and Design Features|
The Type-05M Akatsuki Mizushiki (Japanese for "Dawn Aquatic Type") is a knightmare frame utilized by the Order of the Black Knights in Code Geass Megiddo as their primary amphibious unit.
Pretty much a standard Akatsuki variant, but more streamlined for its chosen environment. It is equipped with hydrojet thruster pods mounted over the cockpit pod, as well as unique torpedo launchers, which are based on the Dorado L's missile pods from Mobile Suit Gundam AGE.
The Mizushiki's basic body and form was based on a standard Akatsuki, except that its armor had been modified with waterproof seals (especially around the cockpit), and miniature hydro jet thrusters like those of Britannia's Portman series. For its intended purpose, the Mizushiki carries weapons designed for usage underwater as well as dry land, such as wrist mounted radiant wave torpedo launchers, arm held chain knives, and the standard machine cannons and slash harken. Despite these specialized weapons however, the Mizushiki is capable of mounting more land-based weaponry should the need arise.
- Type 101 "Kari Tanto" Chain Sword
- Essentially shortened versions of the Katen Yaibatou, the Kari Tanto (Hunting Short Sword) is meant to serve the Mizushiki in the same way a dive knife serves a combat diver. Besides giving the Mizushiki a melee weapon against enemy knightmares, the Kari Tanto is also effective in cutting through ship hulls and underwater support structures, making it an excellent tool for sabotage. Like its larger brethren, the Tanto's cutting power is on par to that of a Britannian MVS. When not in use, these knives are usually stored within special compartments on the Mizushiki's hips.
- Type 41 "Hien Souga" Slash Harken
- The Slash Harken is the signature weapon of the Knightmare Frame, and is used by almost all KMF models. Slash Harkens are wire-guided projectiles with some form of anchor-like blunt object at its tip. They can be used in multiple ways varying from offensive to defensive, or as a means of transportation via anchoring them in an object, and retracting the cable. The "Hien Souga"-type Slash Harken, the standard type of most Black Knight units, is stored in a red-painted compartment on the left side of the Akatsuki's chest, and has a two-pronged claw at its tip.
- Type 305 60mm Radiant Wave Torpedo Launcher
- Underwater versions of the Type-05J Akatsuki Jikisanshiyo's radiant wave rockets. Stored within special pods that are mountable onto the Mizushiki's wrists, the torpedo function in the exact same way as their more standardized cousins, except they're only useable underwater. As well, unlike the Type 303s, the torpedoes have homing capabilities, as their sonar systems are entirely unaffected by excess radiation.
- Type 67 23mm Double-Barreled Hand Gun
- A specialized version of the Akatsuki's handgun that can be used both on land and underwater. Based on the design of the Gekka's hand gun, this model has a faster firing rate and greater range, while the addition of a second barrel gives it a larger area of fire. Compared to Britannian machine guns and assault rifles, the hand gun is somewhat less powerful, but otherwise superior in most other areas. Mizushikis normally utilize this weapon for amphibious operations, otherwise they're normally armed with torpedo launchers.
- Type 78 100mm Bazooka
- A modified version of the Akatsuki's bazooka that can function underwater as well as on land. Designed to be used against more heavily armored targets, the bazooka fires high-explosive rockets over long-range. Its destructive power is enough that it can break most forms of shielding as well as pierce ship and fortress level defenses. Unfortunately, along with the slow firing rate and limited ammo, the bazooka's cumbersome design inhibits the Mizushiki's underwater maneuverability. As such, Mizushiki pilots only utilize the weapon in amphibious operations, and only when their adversaries are utilizing fortress level defenses.
- Type E2M Mono-Eye Sensor Camera
- Following along with its Gekka predecessors, the Akatsuki was equipped with a fixed orange tinted mono-eye sensor camera system in the center of its head. Though lacking the panoramic scope of the dual-eye cameras used on the Type-02A Guren Nishiki and the IFX-V3D1 Gawain, the mono-eye featured superior focusing power, and was easier to implement. The Mizushiki's version is specifically designed to withstand depth pressure.
- Type S2M Multispectral Sensor System
- Due to its unique operational setting, the Mizushiki features a somewhat different sensor system than land based units. Besides the standard radar and infrared systems, the Mizushiki also includes a sonar system, which is its primary means of detection underwater. This sonar is naturally more powerful and longer ranged than those utilized by the Britannian Portman and European Haie, while its passive setting is also more sensitive. As a side note, Rakshata has implemented a special "whale song" mode to its active setting, in which the sonar may mimic the songs of a Humpback Whale, thereby causing other sonar systems to confuse them as such. Needless to say, Mizushiki pilots have found this setting to be highly useful, especially when sneaking past Britannian submarine groups.
- Type K2M Landspinner Propulsion System
- As with its land based brethren, the Mizushiki carries landspinners, and as with everything else about its design, they're highly modified. Because the Mizushiki tends to operate at low depths, the landspinner housings have been reinforced to withstand water pressure. As well, because the Mizushiki's land based operations usually take place on beachheads and other unstable settings, their housings are also equipped with the same low level magnetic field generators usually seen on Sand Panels, thereby allowing the Mizushiki to literally glide across sand and gravel. Modifications aside, the landspinners are generally the same design as those utilized by the standard Akatsuki models; as such, Mizushikis hold the same mobility when on land.
- Type H2M Hydrojet Thrusters
- Similar to Britannia's RMI units, the Mizushiki features hydrojet mounted on its cockpit pod for mobility underwater. Though somewhat smaller than their Britannian contemporaries, they are nevertheless more powerful, and as such provide the Mizushiki with unparalleled underwater speed and maneuverability. Alongside, they are also quieter than Britannian and European types, making the Mizushiki harder to detect by sonar than most other amphibious types.
In her pursuit of variants of the versatile Type-05A Akatsuki line to fill specific mission rolls, as well as develop an effective defense for islands of Okinawa, Black Knights engineer Rakshata Chawla took the original design and modified it substancially for underwater and amphibious warfare, thus developing Type-05M Akatsuki Mizushiki. In this regard, the Mizushiki was meant to provide coastal defense for the Okinawan Islands and keep any Britannian patrols from coming too close to them, though it was more than capable of fighting against Britannian amphibious units. As such, when the Black Knights renew their war against Britannia, the Mizushikis remain behind to continue their "coast guard" duties, usually deployed from Ryujin-class attack submarines to ward off any potential invaders.
Every so often, however, the Mizushikis would see frontline action. One such event was during the Black Knights' siege of the Britannian naval basin of Pearl Harbor in Area 7 (Sandwich Islands). During the operation, a taskforce composing of the submarines Ryujin and Isonade as well as the Akagi-class mobile cruisers Akagi and Hiei would be used to divert the bulk of the Britannian Pacific Fleet away from Pearl; while this was accomplished, the Mikasa would take the opportunity to slip past the other coastal defenses and attack the island basin in a surgical strike. When the time came, the Black Knight taskforce then shed its cover and attacked the Pacific Fleet directly, during which Mizushikis were employed to combat the Britannian RMI-14 Portman IIs in underwater combat.