|Unit type||Prototype Eighth Generation Knightmare Frame|
|Manufacturer||Chawla Design Bureau|
|Operator||Order of the Black Knights|
|Dimensions||Overall Height: 4.81 meters|
|Weight||Combat Weight: 8.26 metric tons|
|Powerplant||Yggdrasil Drive (Mark V)|
|Equipment and Design Features|
The Type-04T Zangetsu (Japanese for "Slashing Moon") is a knightmare frame utilized by the Black Knights in Code Geass Megiddo. It is noteworthy as the personal knightmare of Black Knight field commander General Kyoshiro Tohdoh, known as Tohdoh of Miracles for his victory at the Battle of Itsukushima.
Its original incarnation, but with the additions of more "pronounced" shoulder and hip armor, further seperating it from its descendents. Also lacks the radiant wave shielding.
The Type-04T Zangetsu was designed by Rakshata Chawla as the pathfinder for the Black Knights' next generation knightmare frame. Developed off the same base as the Type-3T Gekka, the Zangetsu is an elite model knightmare frame designed specifically for the Black Knights' field commander, General Kyoshiro Tohdoh. Though it would serve as the basis for later production models, the Zangetsu boasts incredible performance as per Tohdoh's exacting specifications, which stipulated that it be able to fight the Z-01 Lancelot and his former student Suzaku Kururugi on equal terms; as such, follow up designs would be downgraded in order to make them easier to operate for less skillful pilots.
Besides raw power, the Zangetsu was well fitted with an arsenal that, once again, was stipulated by Tohdoh. Its primary weapon is the Seidotou, the rocket sword wielded by Tohdoh during the Japanese Insurrection and the Black Rebellion. However, it is also equipped with other weapons, such as a pair of retractable machine cannons in its main body and the original chest mounted slash harken. The Zangetsu could also fit the same hand-weapons as later designs, but Tohdoh prefers to forgo these and concentrate on utilizing the Seidotou while at the same time using the other weapons sparingly.
- Type 35 23mm Machine Cannon
- The Zangetsu's only gun-based weapons, mounted within its torso. Generally standard machine gun weapons, they hold great range and firepower, such that they can easily destroy a knightmare in a few shots. Tohdoh specifically requested these weapons be implemented on the Zangetsu so that he would not need to use a handgun, thus allowing the arms to remain unhindered while handling the seidotou. As well, he also requested that they be retractable, so that he could catch targets off guard upon deploying them.
- Type 41 "Hien Souga" Slash Harken
- The Slash Harken is the signature weapon of the Knightmare Frame, and is used by almost all KMF models. Slash Harkens are wire-guided projectiles with some form of anchor-like blunt object at its tip. They can be used in multiple ways varying from offensive to defensive, or as a means of transportation via anchoring them in an object, and retracting the cable. The "Hien Souga"-type Slash Harken, the standard type of most Black Knight units, is stored in a red-painted compartment on the left side of the Zangetsu's chest, and has a two-pronged claw at its tip.
- Type 83 "Seidotou" Rocket Sword
- The Seidotou (Brake Sword) is a special knightmare sword that was personally designed and implemented by Tohdoh. Rather than being a chain sword like the Katen Yaibatou, the Seidotou instead features a standard blade, albeit one made out of the same materials as the Guren Nishiki's "Ryogo Otsugata Tozantou" Fork Knife, making it durable enough to parry MVS and "Spatha Luminous". However, its special power lies within a set of rocket thrusters built into the backside of the blade, which can accelerate the sword's swing and therefore give it even greater cutting power, if not provide additional thrust for the Zangetsu itself. As well, built into the pummel is a concealed slash harken, which Tohdoh likes to use for surprise attacks as well as grappling.
- Type E1C Mono-Eye Sensor Camera
- Following along with its Gekka predecessors, the Zangetsu was equipped with a fixed orange tinted mono-eye sensor camera system in the center of its head. Though lacking the panoramic scope of the dual-eye cameras used on the Guren and the IFX-V3D1 Gawain, the mono-eye featured superior focusing power, and was easier to implement. The Zangetsu's camera is little different from the types used on later Akatsuki units.
- Type S1C Multispectral Sensor System
- The Zangetsu carries a standard sensor package, though one decidedly powerful in order to accommodate Tohdoh's role as the Black Knights' Field Commander. This allows Tohdoh to have a clear scope over any battlefield, from which he can better coordinate his subordinates' attacks and movements.
- Type K1A Landspinner Propulsion System
- Designed as a high mobility close combat knightmare, the Zangetsu is equipped with specialized landspinners, which are designed to produce much greater revolutions than standard units as well as holding reinforced tires for increased durability, especially against rougher terrain.
Following the Black Rebellion and the Devastation of Japan, the Black Knights would go through a reformation and restructuring period from the safety of Okinawa, the last refuge for the Japanese race. During this period, it was decided that the Black Knights' original mainline knightmare, the Type-10R Burai, was now outdated and greatly outperformed by the latest Britannian seventh generation knightmares. Worse yet, word would reach the Black Knights' higher command that the Britannians intended to mass produce their venerable Z-01 Lancelot as a new eighth generation knightmare frame, thus prompting the organization's chief engineer Rakshata Chawla to develop her own eighth generation design that would serve as the Black Knights' backbone unit. From there, she designed the Zangetsu to serve as the pathfinder for this new line of knightmares.
Once testing of the Zangetsu's systems and performance is completed, Rakshata would take the accumulated data and use it to produce the Black Knights' new mainline knightmare: the Type-05A Akatsuki. From that point forward, the Zangetsu would be utilized by Tohdoh whenever the General would lead the Black Knights into the field of battle, starting with the attempted liberation of Lelouch vi Britannia in Area 47 (Libya), to the assault on Pendragon in which Tohdoh would use his knightmare to fend off Second Princess Cornelia li Britannia and her RPI-212 Vincent. After that, he would use the Zangetsu once more to fight a seemingly hopeless battle over the Bering Strait, in which the Black Knights were cornered by Britannian forces at the command of Second Prince Schneizel el Britannia. Though at first it seemed impossible to win, the intervening of Zero allowed the Black Knights and Tohdoh to retreat and live to fight another day.